Friday, February 4, 2011

Advertising Terrorism

"Let your fingers do the walking" ..!! Let me walk my fingers around the neck of the irresponsible dimwit who came up with that bit of advertising terrorism, and is responsible for the avalanche of brainless, puerile, witless, inane, moronic, nonsensical, stupid questions ever asked.  It helps that the asker is on the other end of a phone line and cannot see the look on your face when she/he asks "Will I feel exposed in that?" or "Will it suit me?" "Will it fit me? " or "What does it look like?" It helps not to include them in the neck wringing!!  One or two silly or redundant questions a day is about my limit , excluding of course, the ones that are there to advance a conversation ie:  "Is it hot out or what!??" when its 44 degrees!!  One of the beauties I've witnessed is... A woman rings a friend's jewellery store for a quote and time line to have  her diamond cluster ring remodeled/melted into a solitaire as she was so over small diamonds!!! (well aren't we all!!! ) my friend informed her of an approximate time line and the woman hung up!!! For those who don't know, but knew it was a long time, 1-3 billion years!!!

Some common phone inquires are "Will my boyfriend/girlfriend like it? fit it? suit it?  If I want it will it still be here next week?  I know its obvious but for those that don't think it is, how am I supposed to know?!!!!

Centurions waving ak47s  from the bridge
as corseted medieval nurses tend the sick..
I've been asked for a corseted medieval nurses outfit.  I informed the customer that there was no such thing, but if its a fantasy, well I might be able to do something!!!!!  I was told I didn't know squat!!!

I have been asked "How do I get to the party dressed as a .........?" I have been asked for corsets with Roman, Egyptian, Greek and medieval costumes and I've even been asked for AK47s for  roman soldier's uniforms.  No one under the age of 25 knows what a petticoat is.  I have also been woken in the middle of the night to be asked on the emergency number!! what time do I open the shop!!!  You get where I'm going here.  These are just some that I have remembered while writing this post.  Letting your fingers do the walking is not supposed to let you off the hook from your brain doing the thinking!!  MY suggestion is when requesting information about opening times, costume ideas, size range, I don't need to know whose party it is, what your relationship to the party person is, where the party is being held or where your going afterwards.....and.... ps; its always nice if you ask if its a convenient time to answer inquires!!

No comments:

Post a Comment