Friday, March 4, 2011

We make a living by what we get...

We make a life by what we give ...
                                    Winston Churchhill.

I have myself a new project;
   Through the coffee shop in my store I have come to know a young woman who has struggled through some difficult times.   A single mum living in a dysfunctional family household, commuting a fair distance to bring her daughter to a good school.  Trying to juggle jobs and child without support.  Until, and this is the short story of her life.
She met a young man, a single dad. They fell in love, became engaged and planed to marry. Their life together did a serious U-turn when he was diagnosed with cancer.  Over the past months he has had five operations and many, many weeks in hospital. The stress of the past months have made home life even more difficult and it was suggested by a councilor that she remove herself and her daughter from the family home.
It would give the couple a place where they could spend more quality time together .. living with their respective parents has not given them much privacy ...

While I cannot do anything about finding them a place to live ..I have taken on the responsibility of finding and restoring the furniture they will put into the flat   house or unit, and I will find it on the street!!!! ( a true trip to the tip project) So they can put their limited resources into finding a home ...
I thought I would take you, my readers on the journey with me ..and I will supply before and after photos as I go along.. if you have any ideas you want to share, just leave a comment .....

Both these pieces are a little rusty but will come up a treat ..                                                       What I have found so far..a table top (no base) a coffee table base ( no top ) and no, they wont work together.  Some dining chairs  (3) an old paint splattered desk, good and solid, it will come up well ...A friend is upgrading her fridge and has given me her old one that's still in "as new" condition just a little small for her now ..  
                                                                                                           
It will take months to find every thing I need, as you never find what you want when your ready for it.

The brief ..the couple like rustic design ..thats good, a lot of what you find on the street is "rustic" when you find it ..the colour scheme, darker shades of wood, green and pink!!!now there's the challenge...
I'll keep you posted....

No comments:

Post a Comment