Friday, January 28, 2011

THE QUEENSLAND FLOODS ..The damage to history

     I'm back from my trip .. while I was away  the Queensland floods were in full flow ..I was proud of the response the Australian public made to the call for help ...It was noted overseas and often commented on.  On local TV and in newspapers ..People who knew me as Australian would come up to me and congratulate me on our comradeship, on our willingness to help others and our willingness to get in there and get dirty ..
My audience is small but I have no other. ..So I will use what I have to convey the wishes of many overseas that saw what was happening and felt for us , and send their wishes of a speedy recovery ...

While remembering the devastation of the floods and the damage it does. I was thinking of all the damage to furniture ..particularly to the older pieces that have been with families for a long time ..and treasured !..
Those of you who know me and my horror of valuable history being thrown into landfill because of fashion. This is a travesty because these pieces will be discarded because of necessity ..Their owners have little time to think about restoring ..They have more pressing needs, so if anyone has any ideas of how some of this history can be saved ..I'm listening

I'm willing to do some of the restoring ..but transport  of the goods is needed...

perhaps it could be organized for upholsters and restorers to get together to do workshops of repairs with volunteers ...

No comments:

Post a Comment